nbn FTTP made easy
All types of nbn network connections that utilise a physical line running to the premises are considered Fixed Line connections. An nbn Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) connection is used in circumstances where a fibre optic line will be run from the nearest available fibre node, directly to your premises.
FTTP connections require an nbn network device to be installed inside your home. This device requires power to operate and can only be installed by an approved nbn installer or phone and internet provider.
Prepare for your nbn FTTP installation appointment
Battery back-up information
Power outage information
Your assigned technician will try to accommodate your first choice of location where possible, however they will need to install the connection box based on the list of specifications below.
Health and safety considerations and some environmental factors such as complex walls, distance to power sources and proximity and accessibility to the exterior utility box will influence and inform the location.
List of specifications
- Within 3m of an existing power point outlet (or 1.8m if battery backup is requested)
- Near the utility box (installed on an outside wall), where the fibre can be safely and efficiently installed – this means usually near the front of the property
- Where there is suitable space below and above the connection box for easy access – this means generally at least 1.8m below the finished floor level or ceiling
- Away from hazards and busy areas where it may be knocked or damaged
- A cool, dry, ventilated area away from direct sunlight (nbn equipment cannot be installed in a damp or wet areas such as a kitchen, bathroom, laundry, or under a window that opens, and away from existing utilities such as gas lines or external water systems)
- Somewhere where blinking lights won’t be distracting, but easy for you to see and check the indicator lights
- In the same building as the main electric meter box or distribution board (i.e. not in a separate detached garage or outhouse)
You will need to schedule your preferred installation appointment with your phone or internet provider, as they will manage this process for you.
Your provider will also confirm if your FTTP installation will require an authorised person over the age of 18 to be present during the installation – to give the installer internal and external access to your premises, to install the nbn connection box and Power Supply unit.
Not yet. The outside equipment (nbn utility box) is just one part of the installation. To connect your premises to the nbn network, you will need to order an nbn powered plan through your preferred phone or internet provider. Your provider will then organise the install of your nbn equipment (nbn connection box and Power Supply unit) that will connect your premises to the nbn utility box outside.
You can find out when services are planned to be connected at your address via the nbn rollout map.
Register for nbn updates
Sign up for news from nbn including:
- Updates about the nbn® network at your location
- New products and features
- Tips to help you make more of your internet experience
Privacy Collection Notice