Sky Muster™ 101: Everything you need to know
Frequently asked questions about the nbn™ Sky Muster™ satellite service.
After launching its revolutionary broadband satellite into space last October, the nbn™ Sky Muster™ service is now available to over 400,000 regional, remote, outback and offshore locations around the country.
Unlike other previously available satellite services, the Sky Muster™ satellite service is dedicated to providing access to broadband connectivity to rural Australians, so they can stay connected with the rest of the country...and the world.
Here are some commonly asked questions about the service.
1. What is the nbn™ Sky Muster™ satellite service and when can I order it?
The nbn™ Sky Muster™ satellite service is the rural telecommunications game-changer that could open up a world of benefits not yet experienced by rural and remote Australia.
The connection between the satellites and ten ground stations across the country means better broadband connectivity than what many of these areas have previously experienced. Eligible customers are able to place their orders now.
2. What speeds can l expect from the nbn™ Sky Muster™ service?
The nbn™ Sky Muster™ service is designed to deliver wholesale speeds of up to 25Mbps download and up to 5Mbps upload – up to four times faster than the fastest speeds available on the Interim Satellite Service (ISS)*.
3. How do I place an order?
First things first, check if you’re eligible for the nbn™ Sky Muster™ service.
You can do this by contacting your local service provider or checking your address here. If eligible, you can then register for the new nbn™ Sky Muster™ service with your retail service provider.
4. How much will the nbn™ Sky Muster™ service cost?
The plans and associated pricing for access to this service will be set by internet service providers. For a list of internet service providers offering nbn™ Sky Muster™ services at your location, please check your address on our website for updates.
5. How long will it take to get connected?
This will depend on your location. When you place your order, your internet service provider will give you a delivery timeframe.
For users who do not live in isolated or limited access areas, nbn will endeavour to complete your installation within 20 business days of your nbn™ Sky Muster™ service order being placed by your internet service provider.
If you’re located in more isolated regions on the mainland or Tasmania, it may take up to 35 days.
For very limited access areas and those only accessible by air or water, nbn has a target of 90 business days.
If there is a higher than anticipated volume of orders than the available installation capacity in the month, wait times could be longer.
6. What equipment will be installed?
A satellite dish that will generally be 80cm or 120cm in diameter will be mounted on either your roof or the side of your house.
7. What is the installation process?
- Once a confirmed and a valid order has been received, nbn will be in direct contact with you to set an appointment date. If we can’t get in touch with you directly, we’ll be in contact with your internet service provider.
- When a date has been agreed, nbn will call you 24 hours prior to confirm.
- When the installer is on-site, your service provider will be sent a notification to let them know. The installer will then recommend and seek agreement from you on the location of the equipment.
- The receiver and transmitter are mounted on the dish and two cables will be used to connect the dish to the satellite modem, which will be located inside your home. Customers should ask their service provider if there any installation service activation or other related fees.
- Once installation has occurred, the service will be tested by the installers, after which the installation is complete.
8. Why should l connect to the nbn™ Sky Muster™ service?
If you’re living in rural and remote Australia, connecting to the nbn™ Sky Muster™ service has the potential to open up a world of unprecedented opportunity for education, health and work like never before seen in many of these areas.
Access to fast broadband via the nbn™ Sky Muster™ service can help bridge the divide for some of the country’s most isolated Aussies who will be able to access the benefits of connectivity no matter where they are.
Find out how access to fast broadband via the nbn™ Sky Muster™ satellite service could transform the future of rural Australia in our special blog series.
Watch: How one of the first customers to connect to the nbn™ Sky Muster™ service are benefitting from access to fast broadband.
*Your experience including the speeds actually achieved over the nbn™ network depends on the technology over which services are delivered to your premises and some factors outside our control like your equipment quality, software, broadband plans signal reception, and how your service provider designs its network.