Last updated 29th March 2023
About the program
The nbn Fixed Wireless and Satellite Upgrade Program, a $750 million investment in the fixed wireless network of which the Australian Government has contributed $480 million, will significantly expand the coverage and uplift wholesale speeds1 available on the fixed wireless network, benefiting thousands of homes and businesses across the country.
These improvements will make it easier to work remotely, access digital services as well as connect with loved ones and access entertainment. For businesses, it will be easier to participate in the digital and global economy and to benefit from innovative technology, such as the Internet of Things and smart farming.
The program will
- Extend nbn Fixed Wireless: Enhanced coverage and extended maximum range for some nbn Fixed Wireless towers resulting in expansion of the nbn Fixed Wireless footprint coverage by up to 50 per cent enabling approximately 120,000 former satellite-only eligible premises to access nbn Fixed Wireless services.
- Improve nbn Fixed Wireless typical wholesale busy hour speed2: nbn Fixed Wireless network improvements are expected to allow the network to achieve ‘typical wholesale busy period speeds’ of at least 50Mbps (download).
- Faster Fixed Wireless wholesale speeds3: Once launched, nbn proposes that all homes and businesses in the expanded nbn Fixed Wireless footprint will be able to order Fixed Wireless Home Fast via their service provider which has a peak wholesale download speed range of 100 – 130Mbps, and peak wholesale upload speed range of 8 – 20Mbps. Additionally, it is anticipated up to 85 per cent of the expanded footprint will also be able to order Fixed Wireless Superfast, which has a peak wholesale download speed range of 200-325Mbps. These high speed plans offer wholesale download speeds which are up to four times faster than the highest wholesale speeds available on nbn Fixed Wireless today.
- Enhanced data limits and network performance on nbn Sky Muster: For the homes and small businesses that remain on nbn Satellite, nbn Sky Muster Plus is now unmetered for all activities including video streaming4 and virtual private network use for 16hrs a day (12am midnight – 4pm). The monthly data quota is now only needed for video streaming and VPN use between 4pm-12am midnight - as all other online activities continue to not to count towards the monthly allowance5,6.
Register for nbn updates
Sign up for news and updates from nbn including:
- Updates about the nbn® network at your location
- New products and features
- Tips to help you make more of your internet experience
Privacy Collection Notice
nbn is a wholesaler and end customers should contact their preferred service provider to ask about availability. The planned wholesale download speeds for Fixed Wireless Home Fast and Fixed Wireless Superfast are Peak Information Rates, with peak wholesale download speeds of 100 – 130Mbps for Fixed Wireless Home Fast and 200-325Mbps for Fixed Wireless Superfast.
Note that, to proactively protect and ensure the fair access to the nbn access network for all users, nbn may from time to time, at its discretion, shape the following uncapped data activities to maximum wholesale upload and download speeds of 256kbps:
- uploads and downloads via peer to peer;
- uploads and downloads to cloud storage platforms;
- PC and smartphone operating system updates;
- software/application updates;
- gaming software updates;
- any other uncapped data related to applications which nbn cannot identify.
Other uncapped data activity that nbn considers may cause adverse network impacts may also be added to the above list to be shaped, including streaming video and VPN outside of 4pm and 12am midnight.