nbn 101: what you need to know about broadband speeds
nbn ramps up information campaign to improve customer experience
Are your broadband speeds not what you expected? nbn, the company building Australia’s new broadband access network is working with service providers to better inform Australians about how to get the most out of their internet connection.
From today, the nbn™ website will provide new information on the steps to connect to the nbn™ network based on the technology being installed at your home or business as well as the factors which can influence internet speeds once you have connected.
Aimed at reducing confusion regarding the different roles nbn and the retailers play in building and delivering broadband services, the website update is designed to ensure Australians are equipped to make informed choices and take the appropriate steps in order to receive the best customer experience possible.
The company will also continue to run its existing national advertising campaign which explains how to make informed choices about plans based on nbn™ wholesale speed tiers when ordering services from retailers.
John Simon, nbn’s Chief Customer Officer said:
“The rollout of the nbn™ access network is one of the key components behind the biggest transformation to Australia’s telecommunications industry to ever occur – when coupled with the network build of the service providers, it becomes the most significant network upgrade ever seen in such a short period of time and represents a significant change for consumers as they make the move to the new service.”
“With more than four out of five Australian homes and business now either in design, construction or able to order an nbn™ service from a retailer, the prospect of preparing to move to existing internet and landline services over to the new network is a decision many people need to consider.”
“We are working with the retail service providers and industry to better inform consumers and businesses and help them better understand who is responsible for which portions of their internet experience as well as what steps they can take in order to receive the best possible installation and internet experience.”
“It’s important that Australians understand the role of nbn as the access network connecting their homes and businesses to services provided by retailers. Speeds experienced over the nbn™ network are influenced by a range of factors such as the technology used to deliver the network as well as equipment quality, broadband plans, signal reception and the age of the smart devices being used to connect to the internet.”
Visit the nbn™ website to learn more about what you need to know before connecting to services over the nbn™ network as well as how to get the best experience out of your internet connection.
How the nbn™ network comes together
Questions to ask before connecting to the nbn™ network:
- What speed tiers are offered?
- Which service providers are available to me?
- How much data do I need?
- Will my existing services be affected?
- Will my devices be compatible?
The nbn™ network is currently available to almost one in two Australians, is scheduled to be three quarters built by mid-next year and complete by 2020.
Notes to editors
- nbn is building a new and upgraded, fast wholesale broadband network to enable communities across Australia to access fast broadband from their retail service provider. Our goal is to connect eight million homes and businesses by 2020.
- The rollout of the nbn™ access network sets the scene for the biggest transformation to Australia’s telecommunications industry involving Retail Service Provider network upgrades and the establishment of a network to provide access to fast broadband to Australians.
- Connecting to the nbn™ network is not automatic and is a process which may take some time and preparation. nbn is working with the Service Providers and industry to help them better understand who is responsible for which portions of their internet experience and what steps they can take in order to receive the best possible service.
- The speeds experienced on services over the nbn™ network are determined by a range of factors such as the technology used to deliver the network as well as some factors outside our control like equipment quality, software, broadband plans, signal reception and how your Service Provider designs their network.
- Fast broadband like that delivered via the nbn™ network can provide a range of benefits for Australians such as opportunities to work from home, access to online education tools and options for on-demand entertainment.