What are pathway works?
Pathway works is one of the ways the nbn™ access network can be delivered to your development. Developments that require pathways have more than three premises. These works are typically needed for Multi Dwelling Units (MDU) and Multi Premises Sites (MPS) that are usually vertically constructed.
An MDU refers to developments that are joined by a common wall or property boundary, and are generally managed by a body corporate. Examples of an MDU include apartments, town houses, retirement villages and groups of strata title units.
nbn will assess your eligibility to receive the nbn™ network using the details submitted online. Qualified applications are sent a developer agreement which would specify which sites require nbn™ infrastructure and costs. If your development is eligible, log in to the nbn™ New Developments Portal and submit your plan to ensure that your application proceeds.
Design and build checklist
The developer or their representative is responsible for designing and building the pathway works to nbn™ access network standards.
For all of your development, you will need to:
- Design and build the pathways, spatial requirements and equipment locations for the development according to nbn™ access network guidelines as outlined in the building design guide for MDU and MPS.
- Submit a pathway design for nbn to review and remediate if required.
- Build pathway works and provide spatial requirements according to nbn™ access network guidelines as outlined in the building design guide for MDU and MPS and the approved pathway design.
- Submit a Notice of Practical Completion (PCN) for nbn to review.
- Advise builders to supply the in-home cabling for the nbn™ access network.
nbn is responsible for the construction of the nbn™ technology and the installation of the nbn™ access network. nbn will introduce a construction partner after the pre-delivery pathway inspection.
Once the Notice of Practical Completion (PCN) is received and approved by the nbn, the installation of the nbn™ access network will be organised. nbn will install the nbn™ access network through a delivery partner who will connect fibre internally at the premises. The installation will take a minimum of eight weeks, and it will be completed with the aim to meet the estimated premises occupation date as provided by you. Once complete, nbn will send you a notice that the site is in service.
Residents can connect to an nbn™ powered plan through their preferred phone and internet provider.