NBN Co selects satellite ground station construction contractors
Long Term Satellite Service to deliver better communications to isolated Australians
NBN Co has selected construction companies in Western Australia and Victoria to build ten satellite ground stations that aim to bring fast, reliable and affordable broadband to Australia's most isolated communities.
Bunbury-based Perkins (WA) Pty Ltd will build four satellite transmission centres in WA.
Cockram Corporation Pty Ltd, based in Melbourne, will build six facilities located in New South Wales, Queensland, Tasmania and South Australia.
The contracts are worth approximately $180 million in total and were awarded following a comprehensive procurement process.
Construction is due to be completed in 2015 in time for the launch of NBN Co's Long Term Satellite Service that will deliver high speed broadband to an estimated 200,000 homes, farms and businesses in rural and remote parts of the country.
NBN Co's satellite programme will provide a boost to the local economies in the areas where the ground stations will be located. An estimated 20-30 construction workers will be required to build each facility. A further 60 people are expected to be employed nationwide to manage the service.
The Long Term Satellite Service is designed to provide retail broadband providers with the same basic wholesale speed (up to 12Mbps*) and access price ($24 per month) that are available on the fibre and wireless networks.
Matt Dawson, NBN Co's Program Director, Satellites, said:
"NBN Co's satellite service is designed to bridge the divide between the city and the bush and ensure all Australians can receive high speed broadband. Better broadband will give people in the most isolated parts of the country access to economic and social opportunities that the rest of the country takes for granted."
Perkins Managing Director, Dan Perkins, said:
"We pride ourselves on having building project teams that consist of the most experienced people in the industry. We look forward to playing a part in helping to build the infrastructure needed in WA to support NBN Co's Long Term Satellite Service."
Cockram Corporation Managing Director, Malcolm Batten, said:
"As one of Australia's longest running construction companies, our professional expertise covers the full spectrum of specialist construction services including telecommunications. Consequently, Cockram Construction is ideally suited to undertake the construction of ground stations in New South Wales, Queensland, Tasmania and South Australia."
- ends -
Phone: 02 8918 8672
Mobile: 0413 563 752
Phone: 02 8918 8714
Mobile: 0427 173 025
Notes to Editors
- NBN Co's Long Term Satellite Service is a $2 billion national infrastructure investment that is designed to provide high-speed broadband coverage to homes, businesses and farms in some of the most isolated communities in Australia
- NBN Co is building 10 satellite ground stations and plans to install 13.5 metre ViaSat satellite antennas at each facilities
- Eight locations have been identified to date: NSW (Bourke, Wolumla), Tasmania (Geeveston), SA (Ceduna), WA (Geraldton, Carnarvon, Kalgoorlie), Qld (Roma)
- The Long Term Satellite Service is designed to provide retail service providers with a download speed of up to 12Mbps* at the wholesale level. This is the same basic wholesale speed and AVC access price ($24 per month) that is being offered across the fibre and wireless networks
- Services provided over NBN Co's wholesale high-speed broadband network will be available to internet service providers on non-discriminatory terms. Service providers are expected to offer a range of plans and packages to consumers and businesses
- The full eligibility criteria for NBN Co's Interim Satellite Service can be found on the NBN Co website www.nbnco.com.au/satellite or by calling 1800 881 816
- Images containing artists' impressions of what the proposed Wolumla and Bourke facilities will look like once built are available on request
About Perkins Pty Ltd
Perkins Builders is a West Australian building and civil engineering contractor with offices in Bunbury, Perth, and Busselton. Perkins employs 110 staff and 500 subcontractors and is currently working on 21 projects throughout Western Australia. For more information, please visit: www.perkinsbuilders.com.au.
About Cockram Corporation Pty Ltd
With operations dating back to 1861, Cockram is one of Australia's longest running construction companies. We are a multidisciplinary construction services business offering Fixed Price Contracting and Design Build solutions across a broad range of sectors. Cockram Corporation operates throughout Australia with offices in China, India and America. For more information, please visit: www.cockram.com.
* NBN Co is designing the NBN to be capable of delivering these speeds to NBN Co's wholesale customers (ISPs). Speeds actually achieved by retail customers (end users) will depend on a number of factors including the quality of their equipment and in-premises connection, the broadband plans offered by their ISP and how their ISP designs its network to cater for multiple end users.