Residents in First Release Sites given extra time to sign up for high speed broadband


Residents in First Release Sites given extra time to sign up for high speed broadband

NBN Co Limited today extended the deadline for residents and businesses within the First Release Sites to sign up and prepare their properties for high speed broadband, as construction continues in the Townsville, Willunga, Kiama and Armidale areas.

NBN Co Chief Executive Officer Mike Quigley encouraged people to sign the consent forms by the revised due date of Friday October 8, 2010 to receive their free standard optical fibre installation from the street to their premise.

"The response so far has been very positive, however there are still a large number of properties within the First Release Sites that are yet to return their consent forms," he said.

"I recognise that some people may have been holding back given the uncertainty that surrounded the election, so we have now provided an extra window of opportunity," Mr Quigley said.

"We don't want anyone in the First Release Sites to miss out on becoming one of the first properties in Australia to become 'NBN ready'," he said.

"Those properties that are yet to return their forms can expect an information pack to be delivered to them in the next week. We encourage people with questions to contact us on our freecall community information line 1800 881 816 or email connectme@nbnco.com.au," Mr Quigley said.

"By signing the consent form you don't have to cancel your existing phone or internet service. It simply gives you a chance to prepare your premises for the opportunity to be part of the NBN at a time of your choosing once the network goes live," Mr Quigley said.

The free standard installation involves running a thin fibre optic cable from the street to the premises. The method and timing of construction will be determined by NBN Co. If a standard installation cannot be physically undertaken or an owner requires a different configuration, a fee may apply.

Once the network is live, retailers are expected to offer packages to residents and businesses.

Once a customer chooses to connect, the customer can obtain a quote from and make arrangements with their retailer (or other suitable service provider) to complete the necessary connection such as internal wiring and manage the ongoing service.

The National Broadband Network project aims to enable speeds of up to 1 Gigabits per second to 93 per cent of Australian premises and up to 12 Megabits per second to the remaining 7 per cent.

The speeds actually experienced by end-users will of course depend on a number of factors, such as the retail package they choose from their retail service provider, their chosen hardware and their in-premises connection.

Construction of the network is underway at four locations in mainland Australia, including Townsville. In 2011, construction is scheduled to commence at a further 19 sites across Australia.

Residents living outside the First Release Site - who may be part of the 19 new or Second Release Sites - are not being asked to provide their consent at this time.

Downloads

Armidale media release
14 September 2010
Download (PDF - 209 KB)
Kiama media release
14 September 2010
Download (PDF - 209 KB)
Townsville media release
14 September 2010
Download (PDF - 208 KB)
Willunga media release
14 September 2010
Download (PDF - 209 KB)