NBN Co signs new deal with service providers
New agreement with telcos to help lift consumer experience
NBN Co has signed a new contract with phone and internet providers that is designed to improve the quality and timeliness of the wholesale services it offers.
The contract, known as the Wholesale Broadband Agreement (WBA), requires NBN Co to meet enhanced service performance commitments for activations and fault restoration that will help further improve the experience of consumers on the nbn™ access network.
· A new two-hour service level for hand-offs from NBN Co to RSPs.
· NBN Co will proactively implement corrective action where we fail to meet performance objectives.
· A new rebate for providers where NBN Co doesn’t meet target fault restoration timeframes.
NBN Co will also be trialling a new appointments system whereby consumers will be able to reschedule appointments directly with an NBN Co field technician without the need to contact their provider.
NBN Co Chief Customer Officer – Residential, Brad Whitcomb, said:
“We are pleased to see the finalisation of the third iteration of the WBA after more than two years of negotiations and discussions with our customers, the phone and internet providers.
“WBA3 is central to our commitment to improve the consumer experience on the nbn™ access network, alongside industry. The agreement reflects the evolution of our business and also feedback from providers on how we can deliver better experiences on the network.
“The success of NBN Co depends on the success of our customers – the telephone and internet companies. This is particularly the case as the rollout is one of the biggest and most complex infrastructure projects ever undertaken in Australia.”
A copy of WBA3 can be found here.
NBN Co has recently taken further initiatives with industry to improve consumer experience beyond the WBA, which include:
· Improved installation experience: accelerated in-house training facilities to provide hands-on experience for field workers with the aim of increasing quality assurance with the installation of the network to homes and businesses designed to improve our right-first-time performance for activations.
· Advanced fault detection: leveraging big data, machine learning and existing capabilities to help NBN Co determine whether a fault can be dealt with remotely and immediately or whether a field technician needs to visit an end-user home to resolve it.
· Enhanced case management with retail service providers: improved process for managing the timeliness of end user responses and resolution activities following escalations by retail service providers as well as ensuring end user issues are case managed by NBN Co if they are not resolved on the second visit.
· National awareness campaign: educating Australians about the role of NBN Co and their retail service provider, the factors at home or work which can improve internet experience, as well as how to choose a speed and data broadband package that suits their needs.