More than 2450 homes and businesses to get NBN throughout regional and rural Victoria
The National Broadband Network gained further momentum today as NBN Co announced the regional and rural Victorian communities that will be the next to benefit from the rollout of fast broadband.
More than 2450 homes and businesses across the state are a step closer to connecting to fast broadband services with construction of NBN Co’s fixed wireless network commencing in 11 new Victorian sites.
Following a thorough planning and consultation phase, construction of the fixed wireless network has now commenced at sites in Central Victoria, Western Victoria, Gippsland and North-East Victoria at the following locations:
Residents in these areas are encouraged to visit the NBN Co website to see if their home or business is included as part of the coverage footprint via the interactive map: www.nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map
NBN Co spokesperson Corrie Withers said the fixed wireless service can bring better broadband to the bush.
“More farms, residents and businesses can look forward to having access to faster internet with the NBN expanding its broadband footprint throughout Victoria.
“For decades, rural and regional Australia has been left behind when it comes to telecommunications. The fixed wireless service is designed to provide access to internet speeds and bandwidth that many in the big cities currently take for granted.
"The NBN also means you can get the whole family on line at once, opening up opportunities for local farms, businesses and the wider region to participate in the digital age. Fast broadband can help deliver improved access to health, education and entertainment over high quality video links,”* Mr Withers said.
On average, it takes around 12 months from the start of construction until residents and business owners can order NBN retail services from telephone or internet service providers. More information will be provided to residents about how to connect as construction nears completion in each area.
NBN Co’s wholesale fixed wireless service offers retail service providers download speeds of up to 25 megabits per second and upload speeds of up to five megabits per second.**
NBN Co also plans to deliver these wholesale speeds to retail service providers over satellite in rural and remote areas when its Long Term Satellite Service launches, currently scheduled for 2015.
A wide range of telephone and internet service providers are available to connect families and businesses to the NBN, with over 40 providers across the country. To see a full list of those offering services in the region visit www.nbnco.com.au/serviceproviders.
Phone: 02 8918 5853
Mobile: 0417 554 787
Notes to editors
• Fixed wireless services are delivered by radio communications via antennas that transmit a signal direct to a small outdoor antenna on your home or business.
• Before the network equipment is installed a service validation test will be carried out.
• In fixed wireless and satellite areas copper phone lines will remain in place to provide a landline telephone service.
• NBN Co’s fixed wireless and satellite networks are designed to serve communities with low population density where it is impractical or uneconomical to roll out fixed line technologies.
• A standard installation of NBN equipment is currently free of charge. Remember to ask your preferred provider if they have any other fees.
• For more information visit www.nbnco.com.au
* Your experience including the speeds actually achieved over the NBN depends on some factors outside our control like your equipment quality, software, broadband plans and how your service provider designs its network.
** NBN Co is designing the NBN to provide these speeds to our wholesale customers (internet service providers). End user experience, including the speeds actually achieved over the NBN depends on some factors outside NBN Co’s control like equipment quality, software, broadband plans and how the end user’s service provider designs its network.