Armidale and Townsville residents urged to sign up for high speed broadband


NBN Co Limited today urged residents and businesses within the Armidale and Townsville First Release Sites to sign up and prepare their properties for high speed broadband as construction of the National Broadband Network starts in their area.

NBN Chief Executive Officer Mike Quigley urged people to sign the consent forms by the due date of September 7, 2010 to receive a free optical fibre installation from the street to their premises.

"We do not want anyone within the Armidale First Release Site to miss out on the opportunity to take their first step into a high speed future," Mr Quigley said.

"Residents in the First Release Site can expect a letter from me within the next week in their mailbox and an accompanying consent form," he said.

"When the network goes live people with a connection will be able to choose a service from retail service providers. The connection to the National Broadband Network will then be completed.

"By signing this consent form you don't have to cancel your existing phone or internet service. It simply gives you a chance to prepare yourself for the opportunity to be part of the NBN at a time of your choosing," Mr Quigley said.

"An installation fee may apply if we do not receive the relevant consent forms by September 7, 2010 so take advantage of this offer while it is available."

The free standard installation involves running a thin fibre optic cable from the street to the premises. The method and timing of construction will be determined by NBN Co. If a standard installation cannot be physically undertaken or an owner requires a different configuration a fee may apply.

Once the network is live, retail service providers are expected to offer packages to residents and businesses. Once a customer chooses to connect, the RSP will provide a quote to complete the necessary connection such as internal wiring and manage the ongoing service.

The National Broadband Network project aims to enable speeds of up to 100 Megabits per second to 90 per cent of Australian premises and up to 12 Megabits per second to the remaining 10 per cent.

Construction of the network is due to commence shortly in Armidale and four other locations on the mainland. In 2011, construction will commence at a further 19 sites across Australia.

Residents living outside the First Release Site - who may be part of the 19 new or Second Release Sites - are not required to provide their consent at this time.

Consent letters are also available for download at nbnco.com.au or by ringing 1800 881 816. People can also request a copy of the consent letter by emailing connectme@nbnco.com.au

Media inquiries:

Jane Sullivan
0457 509 118

Downloads

Armidale media release
03 August 2010
Download (PDF - 188 KB)
Townsville media release
03 August 2010
Download (PDF - 189 KB)