Milestone: nbn rollout in Tasmania 58% complete
nbn has hit a major construction milestone with over half of Tasmanian homes and premises now able to connect to services over the nbn™ network.
Together a major construction surge in 2016 and the recent launch of the Sky MusterTM satellite service has pushed Tasmania over the milestone.
As at 30 June 2016, 162,472 premises in Tasmania can connect to services over the nbn™ network across all technology platforms.
The availability of Sky MusterTM satellite services has put another 17,000 Tasmanian premises on the nbn™ network map.
Taken together it means that around 58% of the nbn™ network is finished in Tasmania, with the remainder now either in planning or active construction.
So far, 77,810 Tasmanian premises have connected to services over the nbn™ network – a 96% growth on the same time last year.
In the past few weeks parts of Evandale in the North and Howrah, Tranmere, Rokeby and Oakdowns in the South became the first places in Tasmania to switch on to Fibre to the Node (FTTN) technology.
The fixed-line rollout is in full swing with construction continuing in Hobart and Launceston, and new areas including Devonport, Tranmere and Howrah, Bicheno, Burnie, Cambridge, Dodges Ferry, Exeter, Legana, New Norfolk and Westbury.
Meanwhile, nbn continues to rollout fixed wireless coverage via a string of towers to regional Tasmania.
The construction effort is an important step toward the national goal of connecting eight million premises to services over the nbn™ network by 2020.
nbn Corporate Affairs Manager Tasmania, Russell Kelly, said:
“The construction effort in Tasmania is at its highest activity level of the build so far. We are connecting more premises than ever before, and doing it more quickly than ever.
“Most communities in Tasmania will see some form of activity from the nbn during 2016.
“There’s never been a better time to check the website at www.nbnco.com.au to see if you can connect.”
More information about the nbn™ network rollout is available at: www.nbnco.com.au/3yearplan
nbn Media Hotline
M: 0437 100 276
P: 02 9927 4200
Download construction video footage
Notes to editors
- The full list of communities where construction on the rollout of the nbn™ network is scheduled to begin before September 2018 can be viewed at www.nbnco.com.au/3yearplan
- Communities can also check the progress of the rollout of the nbn™ network in their area by typing their address or postcode into the interactive nbn™ network rollout map, which can be viewed here
- The exact number of premises and the regions covered by the plan may vary once nbn has finalised its construction planning.
- The anticipated technology to be deployed in communities may change depending on a number of factors once the construction planning stage has been finalised. Some areas may be serviced by multiple technologies.
- The technology designation for each community will be guided by nbn’s Multi-Technology Deployment Principles.
- nbn provides services to its wholesale customers, telephone and internet service providers, and does not provide services directly to end users.