Winter is the perfect time to chill – and optimise your internet experience
The current wintery weather has many people staying indoors to chill out with friends and family, which makes it the perfect time to optimise your nbn® connection to help get your ultimate home entertainment experience#.
A few simple changes can help you take that TV and movie binge or gaming night to the next level.
Top 5 home internet optimisation tips
- Keep your modem in a central location, ideally close to where you’re working from. If it’s in a cupboard, under a desk, or at the other end of your house this may slow your speed.
- Work out how many connected devices you have – it’s probably more than you think – the more connected devices you have the better the Wi-Fi you will need.
- Some routers may not deliver the best performance. If you’re concerned about the age or quality of your router or modem, seek advice on upgrade options (for example from your internet retailer).
- We do so much through the internet today – browse, watch movies, game, work or study from home – so it’s important to make sure you have the nbn speed tier that suits you.
- Your internet speed may not be as fast as you’d like because you’re on an entry level internet plan. Call your internet retailer to discuss how you use the internet to find out if you have the right retail plan to support your needs.
Jane McNamara, nbn Customer Experience Expert, also encouraged consumers to check their nbn plan to make sure it was suitable to meet their family and household needs.
“On average across the fixed-line nbn network we’re using 30 per cent more data on our nbn network plans than three years ago, have an average of 21 connected devices in our homes##, but most of us are on the same plan we’ve had for ages,” Ms McNamara said.
“This means many people have home internet plans which just don’t meet their needs, which may result in buffering during work meetings, slow streaming or lag while gaming – being on the right plan is important for a good experience.
“For many nbn customers, going up to the next speed plan can deliver a much better home entertainment experience all winter long, especially if you have many people on numerous devices at the same time. From movie nights to binge watching your latest favourite series and weekend sports – we want you to have a cosy and seamless streaming experience.
“Whether it’s just you using the internet, or you’re in a share house, or have a large family who loves to be online at the same time, there’s an internet speed tier to suit your needs.
For more information on what speed tier may suit you the best go to https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/speed or talk to an internet provider.
To help enable faster internet speeds now and into the future, nbn has been investing in the network to deliver fibre deeper into more communities.
Full fibre delivers nbn’s fastest wholesale speeds and can provide a better online experience### like faster downloads and uploads, and streaming 4K on multiple connected devices.
Customers can check their address on nbn’s website to see if they are eligible#### to upgrade to fibre.
Fibre is the most advanced, reliable and consistent way to get the internet over the nbn network and can enable customers to be future ready today while accessing nbn’s fastest available residential internet speeds.
To find out if you are eligible for fibre go to https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/upgrades/more-fibre
# An end customer’s experience, including the speeds actually achieved over the nbn network, depends on the nbn access network technology and configuration over which services are delivered to their premises, whether they are using the internet during the busy period, and some factors outside of NBN Co’s control (like their equipment quality, software, chosen broadband plan, signal reception, or how their provider designs its network).
### Customer experience on nbn full fibre, including speed, depends on your internet provider, plan, equipment quality and if you use the internet at peak times.
#### Conditions, eligibility criteria and costs will apply – please speak with your preferred provider. Eligibility criteria includes, among other things, being designated by nbn as a simple premises and placing an order for an nbn powered plan based on an eligible wholesale speed tier. Additional costs may apply to providers, who may choose to pass this charge onto their customers. Not all providers offer plans based on the full range of wholesale speed tiers. Talk to your preferred provider for more information about availability and the right solution for your needs.