Three year rollout plan for NBN announced
Construction to be underway or complete in areas containing over 3.5 million homes and businesses in 1500 communities in every state and territory.
NBN Co today announced Stage 1 of the large-scale rollout of the National Broadband Network.
Over the next three years, construction of the fibre optic component of the network will be underway or completed in areas containing 3.5 million premises in 1500 communities in every state and territory in Australia - up to one third of the nation's homes and businesses.
The latest communities to benefit from the vital upgrade to Australia's communications infrastructure were announced by Prime Minister Julia Gillard at an event in Sydney this morning.
The full list of localities where the network is up and running, where work is underway and where work is scheduled to begin before mid-2015 can be viewed on the Communities in the rollout page. Communities can also check the progress of the rollout by typing in their location or postcode into the interactive NBN rollout map.
The figures include the three quarters of a million premises where construction work is underway or set to begin this year, including the eight early locations where the fibre network is already in service.
Landmark agreement paves way for volume rollout
The expansion of construction follows the coming into force at the start of the month the milestone Definitive Agreements between NBN Co and Telstra.
The deal delivers value to taxpayers by enabling NBN Co to build the network faster and more efficiently than would otherwise have been the case. Access to Telstra's existing infrastructure, such as its underground ducts and exchanges, will also reduce disruption to communities.
NBN Co chief executive Mike Quigley said:
"This is a significant day for Australia's digital future."
"Construction contracts are in place and the major commercial and regulatory hurdles have been cleared, giving us the momentum we need to deliver better broadband to every Australian no matter where they live."
"The NBN is not just about faster internet - it's about an upgrade to the infrastructure that will underpin the delivery of vital applications that Australians will need over the coming decades. This is a great step forward in preparing our country for the future and helping to address some of its biggest challenges in healthcare, education and business."
The rollout of the NBN follows a series of design principles that aim to deliver a high-speed broadband network in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
These principles includes first extending the network in areas where work has already begun; balancing construction across states and territories and between metropolitan and regional locations; and making use of available exchange and transit infrastructure as it becomes available.
The entire construction project is expected to take around a decade to complete, with 93% of premises receiving broadband via fibre optic cable, 4% via fixed-wireless and the remaining 3% by satellite.
On average it is estimated to take around 12 months from the release by NBN Co of detailed maps of each location to the time when householders and businesses can order broadband services from their telephone or internet service provider.
NBN Co does not charge consumers for a standard installation of the NBN to a home or business. All Australian homes and businesses within the fibre footprint will be given access to voice and internet services over the NBN as the copper telephone lines and cable telecommunications networks are progressively switched off.
Phone: 02 9213 2323 or 02 9213 2311
Phone: 02 99274420
Mobile: 0448 805 806
Phone: 02 9927 4015
Mobile: 0428 134 401
Notes to Editors
- NBN Co plans to rollout fibre optic broadband designed to offer its Retail Service Provider customers wholesale speeds of up to 100 megabits per second* to 93 per cent of Australian premises. The remaining 7 per cent of premises are expected to receive high-speed broadband via fixed-wireless or satellite, with the rollout of both services expected to be complete by 2015.
- The network has so far been rolled out and activated in areas passing 18,200 premises nationwide - three sites in Tasmania and the five mainland First Release sites.
- NBN Co is rolling out the fibre network in a series of modules, each of which passes around 2500-3000 premises. NBN Co will generally continue construction of new modules adjacent to existing construction locations until the entire fibre footprint in an area has been completed.
- For more information visit the rollout.
* NBN Co is designing the NBN to be capable of delivering these speeds to NBN Co's wholesale customers (RSPs). Speeds achieved by retail customers will depend on a number of factors including the quality of their equipment and in-premises connection, the broadband plans offered by their RSPs and how their RSP designs its network to cater for multiple end users.