The NBN in new developments
Apply for NBN fibre in your new development
The original process to submit a fibre application has now been split into two steps. First you must register your overall development and then you will need to submit a fibre application for the first stage of your development, which you should already have stage 5 council approval to commence construction/civil works.
If you already have an approved development with a signed developer agreement for one of your previous stages, you do not need to register your development again. Simply proceed to Apply for fibre to be installed for your next stage. You will need to have ready your development reference to submit a fibre application.
1. Register your development
Register and submit your Master Plan for your overall development.
Please note: You only need to register your overall development once.
2. Apply for fibre to be installed
Once you have registered your overall development immediately submit a fibre application for the first stage of your development. Please note: You will need to submit additional fibre applications providing at least 3 months notice prior to the commencement of construction/civil works for future stages.
Track your applications
New developments application tracker
Monitor your fibre applications by requesting a status email.
Watch "The NBN - Property Developers" video to find out how to get your development NBN ready.
The benefits of fibre in new developments
By incorporating fibre into the early stages of construction, developers are able to:
- Bring uniform broadband coverage within the reach of 100 percent of premises in new estates;
- 'Future-proof' new developments to ensure residents have access to high speed broadband now and into the future;
- Maximise efficiency and lower costs by installing fibre like a utility service when trenches are open; and
- Market new developments as 'NBN Ready' estates, with residents in these developments being among the first in Australia to benefit from the high speeds available over the NBN.
To be eligible to receive NBN Co fibre infrastructure, developers need to complete the following steps:
- Register your development for NBN Co fibre infrastructure via NBN Co's online process
- Submit your Master Plan for your overall development
- Sign and return the Master Developer Agreement (MDA) - NBN Co cannot reticulate fibre into a new development without a Master Developer Agreement in place.
- Developers need to give NBN Co at least 3 months notice prior to the commencement of construction/civil works to ensure NBN Co has adequate time to plan the installation of fibre.
- Design pit and pipe infrastructure to NBN Co specifications and standards and submit to NBN Co for review prior to installation - Pit and Pipe Installation Guidelines.
- Install pit and pipe infrastructure to NBN Co specifications and standards.
- Transfer ownership of pit and pipe infrastructure to NBN Co.
Contact our team
Get the latest newsletters and events sent to you by emailSubscribe to the property developers and builders newsletter