Fast broadband brings new age of ‘virtual-agents’
Forget parking spaces and pools, a fast broadband connection is one of the key purchasing decisions for future homebuyers, according to new research.
The nbn™ Ready Homes report reveals when searching for a new property, the majority (80 per cent) of Aussie house hunters rate a good broadband service as a major factor in their decision making process.
Two thirds (66 per cent) of Aussie buyers say they would negotiate a lower price or even reject their potential home altogether (16 per cent), if it is not available.
nbn’s General Manager of Build Partnerships, Julian Nachmias said:
“For many buyers, a fast internet connection is no longer a luxury, it’s an expected addition to Australian properties.
“Whether you’re a prospective buyer with a large family, a young couple who works from home or retirees with a passion for online entertainment, access to fast broadband is increasingly as important as having running water and electricity available in your home.”
Tech-savvy real estate agents are also taking advantage of the nbn™ network by new technologies to market properties in pursuit of a competitive edge for their business.
Keyes & Co Property Founder, Damien Keyes said:
“High resolution photography has always been a staple of real estate marketing, but now home owners want to see more of a property before they even attend an inspection. Since connecting to the nbn™ network, we have become ‘virtual-agents’ and are now able to offer online tours, which allow buyers to inspect the property through 3D walk-throughs and 360 degree photography taken by drones.
“It’s proving to be a profitable way for us to attract home buyers who are relocating from across the country and gives us a point of difference from other agents.”
Emerging technologies for real estate agents include:
- Smart photography: drone photography and 360 degree videos mean home buyers can be immersed in a space from a remote location which limits the need for international or interstate buyers to travel.
- Interactive floor plans: provides potential buyers a sense of the true layout and design of the home and takes the guesswork out of viewing a property.
- Virtual viewings: the recent introduction of affordable virtual reality headsets has enabled real estate professionals to tap into immersive customer experiences by offering virtual tours which allows buyers to walk through their prospective home without disturbing the current occupants.
nbn™ Media Hotline
Mobile: 0488 902 436
Phone: 02 9927 4200
Notes to editors
nbn™ Ready Homes report: The research was conducted between 18 April-24 June 2016 using an online quantitative approach with 519 respondents sourced from proprietary panels.
- nbn is building a new and upgraded, fast wholesale broadband network to enable communities across Australia to access fast broadband from their retail service provider. Our goal is to connect eight million homes and businesses by 2020.
- Fast broadband like that delivered via the nbn™ network can provide a range of benefits for Australians such as opportunities to work from home, access to online education tools and options for on-demand entertainment.
- End-user experience, including the speeds actually achieved over the nbn™ network, depends on the technology over which services are delivered to your premises and some factors outside our control like equipment quality, software, broadband plans, signal reception and how the end-user’s service provider designs its network. Access to your work network will depend on factors outside our control like your organisation’s IT policy and infrastructure.