nbn’s Executive General Manager, Product and Pricing, Sarah Palmer said:
- The latest Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Internet Activity Report, released today shows Aussies downloaded a record high 2.5 billion GB of data in 2016 (in the 3 months ending 31 December), with the average home downloading 117GB per month, a 41 per cent year-on-year increase.
- Homes connected to services over the nbn™ network are downloading around 144GB of data each month which is a 32 per cent year-on-year increase and around 1.2 times the national fixed-line average and 76 times the mobile average.
- When streaming services such as Netflix and Stan entered Australian living rooms in 2015 we saw an unprecedented surge in data consumption over the nbn™ network. These figures confirm Australia’s insatiable appetite for consuming online content is continuing to grow.
- With forecasts from Telsyte showing the amount of connected devices is predicted to grow from 14 to 29 by 2020*, access to fast broadband will be critical in allowing us to continue to enjoy uninterrupted viewing on multiple devices at the same time.
- It’s important for households who stream a lot of online content to speak with their service provider and choose a plan which suits their needs as well as check they have the correct in-home equipment so they can enjoy the best internet experience possible.
- There are now 2 million households and businesses which have signed up to the nbn network through a retail service provider