Many types of devices that are normally connected to phone lines (such as alarms, EFTPOS machines, fax machines and more) can work over the NBN. However you will need to order the right type of phone service over the NBN to make sure they continue to work correctly.
It's important you get advice from the device provider first before ordering your phone service over the NBN.
Three easy steps to move your device to the NBN
1. Call your device provider (e.g. alarm/security company or EFTPOS provider)
- Ask which phone companies and types of phone services will work with your device over the NBN.
- Ask are there any wiring changes required in your home or business to get your device to work over the NBN (e.g. will existing phone sockets need to be reconnected to your new phone service over the NBN?) and if any charges will apply.
- Ask what you need to do to test the device once NBN equipment is installed and working, and the device is connected over the NBN (e.g. what button should you press on the device to test it and what should the result be if it is working?).
2. Call your preferred phone company or internet service provider
- Let them know that you have the device (e.g. a monitored alarm or EFTPOS machine).
- Tell them your device requirements (e.g. the type of phone service over the NBN recommended to you by the manufacturer of the device).
- Arrange to have any required wiring changes done to connect your device to the NBN. (The phone company may be able to send a technician or recommend one to you.)
3. After the NBN is installed and working, test each device to confirm that it is working.
- If it is not working, please contact the provider of the device and your preferred service provider immediately.
More information about...
Medical alarms and emergency call buttons Show more
It's very important that you call your medical alarm provider for advice before moving to the NBN.
View our fact sheet (PDF - 311KB)
The following companies have published information about the compatibility of their medical alarms with services provided over the NBN. If your provider is not listed here, contact them directly to confirm compatibility of your medical alarm with services provided over the NBN.
IMPORTANT NOTE: By clicking on the links above you will be leaving the NBN Co website and viewing information on other companies' websites. NBN Co cannot check the accuracy of this information and does not endorse it. Therefore, we take no responsibility for these third party websites or their content.
- AlarmLogic – 08 8285 7455
- Calamity Monitoring – 1300 300 247
- CoffeyCo – 1300 245 483
- FirstCall Medical Alarms – 1300 408 080
- Smartcaller – 03 9588 0933
- Smartlink (A division of Ness Corporation Pty Ltd) – 03 9875 6400
- Tunstall Healthcare – 1800 603 377
- VitalCall – 1300 360 808
Monitored security alarms Show more
It's very important that you call your security alarm provider for advice before moving to the NBN.
View our fact sheet (PDF - 301KB)
The following companies have published information about the compatibility of their security alarms with services provided over the NBN. If your provider is not listed here, contact them directly to confirm compatibility of your security alarm with services provided over the NBN.
IMPORTANT NOTE: By clicking on the links below you will be leaving the NBN Co website and viewing information on other companies' websites. NBN Co cannot check the accuracy of this information and does not endorse it. Therefore, we take no responsibility for these third party websites or their content.
- AG Security Group – 08 8231 0411
- AlarmIP – 08 9209 3367
- AlarmLogic – 08 8285 7455
- BENS Wholesale Monitoring – 1300 130 515
- Calamity – 1300 300 247
- catchClip – 02 8745 9800
- Citiguard Protections Services – 1300 662 468
- Clarke Security – 08 8352 3300
- Coffeyco Security and Automation – 1300 245 483
- CS Technologies – 02 9809 5176
- Emizon – 02 4721 8067
- Honeywell Security Group – 1300 234 234
- Ness Corporation – 1300 551 991
- Permaconn – 1300 556 643
- Security 1 – 136 000
- Security 2000 – 1300 785 640
- Vidguard Security Systems Geraldton – 08 9964 1810
- Watchdog Alarms – 1300 123 400
Listing updated 4 April 2014
EFTPOS machines Show more
Monitored fire alarms Show more
Lift phones Show more
Fax machines and teletypewriters (TTY) devices Show more
Phone services provided over the NBN connection box UNI-V port are designed to support fax and TTY transmissions. Other phone services over the NBN may also work but you will need to confirm with the phone company.
Tell your preferred phone company that you need to use a fax or TTY device before moving to the NBN.
Device suppliers who wish to be included in this directory can apply to be listed, or change or delete an existing listing. Inclusion on this page is at NBN Co's sole discretion and does not constitute an endorsement by NBN Co.
Please note: Providers of devices (like alarms and EFTPOS machines ) design how these devices will work with different phone and internet services. These companies are independent of NBN Co, so NBN Co cannot confirm the accuracy of any claims they make about how their devices work with phone and internet services over the NBN.